A new workgroup has formed with the goal of lowering health care administrative costs for New Yorkers.
The New York State Department of Financial Services and New York State Department of Health this week announced the 25 members of “New York’s Health Care Administrative Simplification Workgroup.” This group is a recent requirement announced by the DFS Superintendent and Commissioner of Health. The members will study and evaluate methods to reduce health care administrative costs and complexities through standardization, simplification, and technology.
Areas to be examined by the workgroup include:
- Claims submission and attachments;
- Preauthorization practices;
- Provider credentialing;
- Insurance eligibility verification; and
- Access to electronic medical records
The workgroup consists of stakeholders representing the insurance industry, consumers, hospitals, and physicians.
The members of the workgroup are:
- Sudha Acharya, Executive Director, South Asian Council for Social Services
- Morris Auster, Senior Vice President and Chief Legislative Counsel, Medical Society of the State of New York
- Susan Beane, M.D., Executive Medical Director, Healthfirst
- Chuck Bell, Programs Director, Advocacy, Consumer Reports
- Elisabeth Benjamin, Vice President of Health Initiatives, Community Service Society
- John D. Bennett, M.D., President and Chief Executive Officer, Capital District Physicians’ Health Plan
- Jennifer Briggs, Chief Operating and Financial Officer, Greater Rochester Independent Practice Association
- Monica Chopra, Northeast Region Leader, Oscar Health
- Kevin J. Conroy, Chief Financial Officer and Chief Population Health Officer, CareMount Medical
- Hailey Davis, Director at Manatt, Manatt, Phelps and Phillips, LLP
- Sean M. Doolan, Shareholder and President, Hinman Straub, P.C.
- Thomas Faist, Legislative Counsel, New York State Association of Health Underwriters
- Niyum Gandhi, Executive Vice President and Chief Population Health Officer, Mount Sinai Health System
- Jeffrey Gold, Senior Vice President and Special Counsel, Insurance and Managed Care, Health Care Association of New York State
- Karen Ignagni, President and Chief Executive Officer, EmblemHealth
- Harold N. Iselin, Managing Shareholder and Co-Chair of Government Law and Policy Practice, Greenberg Traurig, LLP
- Michael Mulgrew, President, United Federation of Teachers
- Thomas J. Quatroche, Jr., President and Chief Executive Officer, Erie County Medical Center
- Ricardo A. Rivera-Cardona, Chief Business Development Officer, SOMOS Community Care
- Peggy Sheng, Chief Operating Officer, Coalition of Asian American IPA, Inc.
- Kathleen Shure, Senior Vice President, Greater New York Hospital Association
- Aimee Smith-Hopkins, Associate Vice President, Payment Innovation, Montefiore Health System
- Denise Soffel, Member, Medicaid Matters New York
- Abenaa Udochi, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Concierge Health Care Consulting
- Josephine Wilton, Manager, Facility and Ancillary Contracting, BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York, a division of HealthNow New York, Inc.
The workgroup will issue a report to the DFS Superintendent, Commissioner of Health, and New York State Legislature in October 2021.